1. Bait garden for slugs – Use Safers Slug bait as it’s an organic one.
2. Work on garden clean-up, weeding and preparing garden beds. Add a handful of lime several weeks before planting. To improve your soil, use mushroom manure or compost.
3. Plant cool season veggies such as lettuce, spinach, kale & cabbage. Plants seeds of peas & sweet peas at this time as well.
4. Start tomato seeds indoors if desired.
1. Continue to plant cool season veggies and flowers
2. Transplant raspberries & strawberries if necessary.
3. Plant early potatoes (Yukon Gold & Pontiac)
4. Fertilize perennials with all-purpose fertilizer such as fish fertilizer or organic fertilizer you can make yourself. See below
2 parts bonemeal, 1 part kelp meal, 1 part blood meal.
Apply the fertilizer during growing season.
This message is for the members of the Maple Community Garden
The work party schedule has been updated with 2 dates:
- Sunday April 5th, from 10am to 12pm (noon)
- Sunday, April 12th, from 10am to 12pm (noon)
For both dates, the meeting will start at the meeting room located in Maple Crest Apartments (2229 Maple Street) – please arrive early so that we can be efficient.
The purpose of these meetings is to:
- Pay your membership dues for 2015 garden season
- Participate in the work party to clean up and repair the common areas
Suggested Tools: Please bring your gloves, trowels, digging tools, edgers, shovels. For those who have building skills and tools bring your cordless drills and saws, hammer, nails.
We hope to get teams working on areas like the wheelchair accessible patio and boxes, a fence etc. Wear sturdy shoes or boots. Knee pads might be useful.
Mike Babiarz made the following video last Friday when CPR started destroying Cypress Community Garden, available through vimeo:
You can also check out this article on city farmer’s website: http://www.cityfarmer.info/2015/03/03/canadian-pacific-railway-cpr-destroys-hundreds-of-beautiful-community-gardens-in-vancouver/#more-266460
Article published today in the Georgia Straight (online version): CP Rail rips up Maple and Cypress community gardens in Kitsilano